Glory, glory hallelujah! The new scout troop's a winner!

As you may recall, I wasn't too impressed with my girls' experience last year in Brownies.

In fact, I found the whole experience quite disappointing. The disorganized leader with her poorly planned field trips had me ready to execute a hostile takeover of the troop. I was ready to seize control and send those kids to a recycling center or a nursing home where they could actually learn to do something good for the community.

Well, since we moved, the girls changed schools and *tah-dah* are in a new Girl Scout troop.

While I attended the parents meeting a few weeks ago, I nearly burst into tears as the leader spoke of various service projects she had planned. Weaving blankets for kids going into foster care was just one of the many activities she wanted to do to teach the girls responsibility and develop a love of helping others.

And when she handed out a printed meeting schedule and PowerPoint describing the goals for the year, I nearly jumped up and kissed her on the lips.

Instead of roller rinks and bowling parties, this year, my girls will be earning badges in computers, car care, sewing and science.

No doubt this'll be a tough adjustment for the girls. Afterall, the closest they got to helping others was sharing a bucket of popcorn at High School Musical 3. But I'm confident that working with this goal-oriented leader will do them wonders.

Hallelujah. My prayers have been answered!

No comments: