The Great H.

Last week I learned that one of my favorite teachers passed away.

Mr. H. was my 6th grade teacher. It was one of those schools where kids had the same teacher all day, every day, so students and teachers generally grew fairly close.

Mr. H. was awesome. He was gentle and soft spoken and just had a way with kids. When I think of him, the words patient and kind come to mind. Oh, and did I mention he was cute? All of the girls had crushes on him.

One of the things I remember most about my sixth grade experience was when I got a glimpse into the closet in his classroom. It was located behind his desk and was where he stored certain class supplies and some of his personal things.

One day, when Mr. H. opened his closet, I got a good look inside. And what caught my eye was a ginormous bottle of aspirin. I'd never seen an aspirin bottle that big before in my life. And my first thought was to immediately apologize to him that our class made him buy that humongo bottle in the first place.


Rest in peace, Mr. H. May you never have to pop another aspirin because of a pack of unruly sixth graders again.

No comments: