Ratatouille

Ratatouille Night turned out pretty well. The dish was easy to make and tasted great.

After work and school, we went to the local farm stand and got a few of our key ingredients - eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes. I'll admit, it was weird working with raw veggies that were warm from the sun. Normally I'm using cold produce - straight from my fridge or my grocer's. But regardless, there was something satisfying about using veggies fresh from the farm.

The recipe called for "2 cloves of garlic, or as much as your conscience or social engagements allow."

So, I used 6 cloves. (We're garlic fans.)

You essentially cook everything down for about an hour and then toss in a tablespoon of capers during the last 15 minutes.


Warm and gooey.

I served it with grilled lemon-herb chicken breasts and garlic bread and we ate it while watching Disney's Ratatouille, a story about a rat who proves he can cook by wooing a tough, French food critic with a dish of ratatouille.



It beat the hell out of pepperoni pizza.

2 comments:

Ryan Family said...

The kids were ok with it? Wow---great job!
I love the recipe's suggestion about the garlic quantity. :-D

Jess said...

The kids have a simple rating scale when it comes to my cooking: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down or Sideways.

I got 2 Sideways and 1 Thumbs Down (Crowbar). But in the end, they ate it, which is what matters.