Single parenting: The greatest show on earth.

While I'm simply over the moon about Mark moving in, I have a little something to confess:

Part of me is going to miss being a single mom.

Okay, I know that sounds like an insane thing to say, and it is. I know it is. But I'm proud to say I'm raising my kids on my own.

I like hearing the surprise in peoples' voices when they learn I work full time and care for three kids by myself. That kind of praise and admiration really feels good. It's like life-saving oxygen when you're parenting alone, in a vacuum. And I'm going to miss that.

I'll admit I wasn't always proud of this status. In fact, I used to be quite embarrassed and sad about it. I used to stand in the back at school functions, the only single parent in the 2nd grade. I hated telling teachers I needed two district calendars, one for each household. And, after a tough day spent disciplining the kids on a naughty streak, I used to sneak into their rooms while they slept and apologize that they were stuck with only me to yell at them.

But, after time, as I got into the groove, my confidence grew and so did my pride.

Being a single mom means you don't have to make many apologies. Single-momdom gives you a special pass. It's okay to show up late to family functions. It's okay to pay the phone bill a week after it's due. The key to surviving (and thriving) as a single mom is to NOT beat yourself up for every little mistake.

It's okay to drop a ball every once in a while when you're the only clown in the ring -- and I'm going to miss that too.

Yep, this is going to be quite a change. Mark is leaving his single-guy apartment and joining the circus. For three years, I've been head ring master, which is tougher than any of the circus acts combined. But now, it's time to share the spotlight. To hand over the mic. To step aside and let someone else run the show for a bit.

Hell, we oughta sell tickets.

No comments: