Sweet Corn Casserole

When I first saw Beech Nut's Sweet Corn Casserole my curiosity was piqued.

Casserole? Did they puree some sort of a cream-of-whatever soup-with-tater-tots number and stick it in a jar?

I immediately checked the ingredients. Corn, water and rice flour. Hardly a casserole.

Despite my aversion to creamed corn (blech) and the high starch factor, I figured we'd give it a whirl for variety's sake.

Here's what we thought:

Sweet Corn Casserole

Ingredients: corn, water and rice flour

My take: I really had to suck it up to give this one a try. The smell was really corny (duh) and instantly reminded me of creamed corn -- something I haven't eaten since I was forced to do so as a kid. I gagged the second it hit my taste buds, but managed to choke it down. The corn taste was very strong and surprisingly sweet. The texture was smoother than I'd expected. It wasn't as bad as creamed corn, but it isn't something I'll ever eat again.

Sweet Pea's take: She ate the whole jar. I think she liked the thicker consistency than a lot of the strained veggies she's been eating. She kept opening her mouth for more and was disappointed when it was gone.




The verdict: 4 bottles (out of 5). I didn't like it, but I chalk that up to my own hang-ups, not the quality of the product. It didn't get a full 5 because, in my mind, this was not a casserole as indicated.

Note to Beech Nut's marketing team: Casseroles are warm, brown and bubbly. This was smashed corn and rice. Perhaps if the directions would've suggested crumbling potato chips on top and then baking it at 350 for 20 minutes, I'd give it a pass.

No comments: