The family that kicks ass together, well... kicks ass together.

Mad Dog and I have started a little mother daughter thing -- we've started taking taekwondo lessons together.

At first, the lessons were just for Mad Dog. She had energy to burn and needed an extra nudge in the self-discipline department, so we went down to our local YMCA and signed her up.

One day as I sat watching on the sidelines, a woman with a black belt approached and knelt down beside me.

You know, I was 39 when I took my first lesson. You're welcome to join us, if you'd like.

I thanked her and told her I'd think about it, even though at the time, didn't really think it'd suit me. But then, after a week or so, I decided to go for it. After all, it looked like a fun, but challenging workout. And, if I could pick up a few self-defense moves along the way, that'd be a plus. And it'd be cool to have some special one-on-one time with Mad Dog.

So, I signed up.

I had my first lesson a few weeks ago. Mad Dog was so proud to lead me into the room. She instructed me to bow when entering and leaving and showed me where I should stand, so we could both see each other in the big mirror.

Together, we bowed to our Grand Master and began our first class as a mother-daughter duo.

I'll admit, it was tricky keeping up, but somehow I managed. I matched my classmates, crunch for crunch and sit up for sit up. And I even managed to stumble my way through the basic one form.

While at first I wasn't sure if taekwondo would suit me, now I'm convinced that it does.

I like the physical and mental discipline taekwondo demands. Also, my classmates are the nicest, most polite people I've ever met, due, I'm sure, to strong observance of the five tenants. And though the first few lessons were tough, I really enjoyed them.

I learned several self-defense techniques, including how to break free from an attacker and, more important, how to finish him off so he can't retaliate. Grand Master advised my partner to not go easy on me - so he wouldn't give me a false sense of confidence or security. And believe me, he didn't.

My partner grabbed my wrists, arms and neck, simulating a series of vicious attacks. Over and over, I applied what I learned, breaking his grip and applying finishing moves such as kicking his knee or punching his face. It was exhilarating and exhausting.

From time to time, during class, I try to glance over to see how Mad Dog is doing. Watching her spar with someone her size, I'm struck by her pluck and perseverance. Often matched up against boys, I've noticed she throws more kicks and punches than some of them do. She's a natural and won't be a white belt for long.

She's a bad ass in a pink mouth guard.

Me? Punching still feels so awkward. I know I'm more comfortable in defense mode than taking an offensive position. But someday it'll come. Someday, I'll feel comfortable throwing punches and round-house kicks. I know I will.

I'm so happy I'm doing this. And I'm proud I'm doing this with my daughter.

And that, my friends, kicks ass.

No comments: