The Cold Cereal Chronicles

Last January, I made a New Year's resolution to begin writing creatively. I decided to write about a topic I knew well - single parenting.

It was important for me to show the often humorous and rewarding side of single parenting. So much of what I've read on the topic is depressing. While becoming a single parent wasn't my choice, I'm very proud of my accomplishments as a single mom.

So, for the past year, I wrote essays about my experiences. I have kept these essays in a blog called The Cold Cereal Chronicles. My intent has been to shop them around someday to editors/publishers. And I'm proud to report that I had one essay published in Metroparent magazine in May 2008.

Since Mark and I have grown closer, I now no longer feel like I'm alone in parenting my children. Mark has delicately and gracefully stepped into a co-parent role and has an amazing way with the kids. So, to continue writing essays about solo parenting doesn't exactly feel right anymore.

I don't know if I'll add to The Cold Cereal Chronicles again. The thought of closing that chapter on my life feels cathartic. I'm proud of where I've been and what I've accomplished and I'll always have The Cold Cereal Chronicles to remember.

No comments: