Practical Parenting Tip #55

Teach your kids useful life skills: like how to negotiate effective trades to create a bag lunch that they'll actually eat.


My kids have gotten very picky lately. They're springing up all kinds of new dislikes so quickly, I can't hardly keep up.

"I don't like chunky peanut butter anymore," says one.

"Those juice boxes are gross," says the other.

"Since when don't you like BBQ chips?" I ask.

Out of desperation, I taught them how to trade away undesirable lunch components to fashion a lunch they'll actually eat.

I know... you parents of older kids are probably are shaking your heads and wagging your fingers. I know lunchtime trading is discouraged at most schools.

But come on! When you've got a pantry full of perfectly good food that you've gotta unload, what's the alternative?

No comments: