Trick-or-treating is when?!?!

I'm kind of freaking out. I just found out I have three days until Halloween trick or treating. I know! Halloween's nine days away.

Not sure what brainiac decided we should hold trick or treating on Sunday, Oct. 26, but they did and I'm totally unprepared.

I always wait until the weekend before to get the kids' costumes. Not because of the sales or because I'm disorganized. It's because the kids flip flop on what they want to be more than a presidential candidate in October.

Just the other day, The Deuce changed her mind. The Hannah Montana costume is out and she wants to go as a hippie.

"What's a hippie?" I asked, playing dumb.

"A person who's all, like 'peace out' and protests the Vanim War."

"The Vietnam War?"

"Yeah. That one. But they protest all wars."

Ugh.

I'm a little concerned that the neighbors won't be prepared for trick-or-treating either. I mean it's a whole damn week earlier than one would expect. Who knows what people could hand out when taken by surprise. Heck, if a gaggle of trick-or-treaters showed up on my doorstep at this moment, I'd have only about five 100-calorie packs of cookies to give them, and then I'd be handing out cans of soup. (Need to go to the grocery store.)

True story:
Once we surprised one of our grandmas and trick-or-treated her house just as the official trick-or-treating time had ended. (She lives across town so she was surprised to see us.)

Well, she'd be overrun with kids that year, so when we got to her house, she had been cleaned out of all candy already. Well, she couldn't let her beloved grand babies leave empty handed, so she sliced up some coffee cake, wrapped it in foil, and dropped it in the kids' treat bags.

How awesome is that? It was the best goodie in the bag.

Well, I'll figure something out costumewise. I'm resourceful like that. I still am hoping to do something clever, but without the luxury of time, we may just do our old standbys.

I'll let you know.

No comments: