Proud Mama.

I am one proud mama: The Deuce, one of my eight-year-old twins, has developed a new-found appreciation of I Love Lucy.

It started when she was sick last weekend. It was 1 a.m. and she couldn't sleep. Bleary-eyed, we flicked on the TV. While I was looking for kid-friendly programming -- specifically, something that wouldn't make me want to gouge my eyes out -- I stumbled across an I Love Lucy marathon on the Hallmark Channel.

Initially, she protested.

"Let's watch Pokemon," she begged.

I asked her to give it a chance. I explained to Deuce how important Lucille Ball was for gals like us*. That Lucy was a trailblazer for funny women. And that she was the first female comedian to hit it big on TV -- ever.

Though she was skeptical at first, by the end of the second show (now 2 a.m.) she begged me for more. We watched Lucy and Ethel accidentally cook 700 lbs of beef in their furnace and Lucy beg Ricky to let her be in the show down at the club. We were about to begin show #3 when, I reluctantly turned off the TV so we both could get some sleep.

The next morning, when Mad Dog and The Deuce flipped on the TV, the Lucy marathon was still on.

"Let's put on Cartoon Network," said Mad Dog.

"No, let's watch Lucy."

"Huh?"

"Lucy. I Love Lucy," she explained. "It's a new... uh... old show Mom showed me. It's really funny."

Like her sister, Mad Dog initially wrinkled her nose at the old, black-and-white show. But after a few minutes, I could hear them giggling. They watched several episodes back to back.

Over the course of the week, I heard Deuce tell others about her new favorite show. Whenever she'd mention it to an adult, they'd get a big smile and give me an atta-girl look.

"It's really funny, Grandma. You should watch it some time."

I guess that's when you know you've made a difference in the life of a child.


~ ~ ~

* In high school I was voted Class Clown. At the time I was a little disappointed. I would've preferred to get Most Likely to Succeed or even Best Legs, but now I know it was a good thing. And it seems that Miss Deuce is likely to follow in her mother's footsteps. Just this past parent-teacher conference, Mrs. P. told me Deuce is quite the class cut-up. My girl knows she's funny and if given the opportunity, will go for the big laugh - every single time. Just like her mama.

No comments: